Thursday, October 31, 2013

Fear is not Real

Children are fearless. We adults are the ones who create and influence fear in them.
  
I write this note for I have seen many who make up stories which creates fear on a child, lines like 'halika na, may multo dyan' (come now there are ghosts there). It has become a sure way of making a child behave.

I will discount traumatic experiences and environmental causes, because those itself create anxiety. Creating a scene where the child will imagine the worst may create phobias in adult life.I have only later realized the connection of childhood stories to an adult's fear.
I traced how some developed fear of ghosts, dead, dark or insects, all have similar stories to tell, fear was taught during childhood.

As I end with a quote from a fictional character in a sci-fi movie: Fear is not real. It is a product of our imagination, causing us to fear things that do not at present and may never exist...danger is very real but fear is a choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment