Sunday, July 20, 2014

She'll be an Achie (Big Sister)!


As soon as we knew we were expecting, I thought of ways how to explain to a 2 1/2 year old what it is to have a brother or a sister.


My daughter saying hi to the'baby inside mommy's tummy'

1. VIDEO
Showing her a link from Baby Center to show her that babies develop in a mother's tummy.
My cue that she got the idea when she leaned to my tummy and said Mommy I do not fit there anymore.
:)

2. BOOK
One of her favorite books We're Going on a Bear Hunt shows four siblings. we revisited the story and discussed each family member.


3. MEETING WITH FRIENDS
A play date with my friend's daughters explaining they are sisters just like the movie Frozen.
(In the movie Frozen she noticed the main characters look alike, I took the opportunity to explain what it is to mean to have a sister or a brother)
fun play date


4. SYMBOL
I love charms, my daughter helps me bead when there is one added to my mini collection.
My daughter identifies each face as one of us.
Now she is pointing another one for the baby to come.




5. PICTURES
Showed her an album, a timeline of photos from my 1st pregnancy picture, the time she was born,  till the recent one that she can recognize that it is her.

Another is an ultrasound of the baby to come, It's a photo of the 'baby inside mommy's tummy'. She responded with Yes I can see but it's too dark! :)





FURTHER EXPLAINING
Together with this we are explaining to her the needs of a newborn, how helpless she used to be, and how much attention we need to put when the baby arrives and her role to play as a big sister.

And the greatest thing she is looking forward to is that  she is going to have a playmate!

No comments:

Post a Comment