Sunday, August 10, 2014

Preparing to be a Breastfeeding Mom

Every time I hear a friend who is pregnant or just gave birth, I am eager to be of help in her journey to be a breastfeeding mom.


Our first two months



Why?
I want to share that emotional attachment we had through breastfeeding, because  of the health benefits for mother and child. It is a natural birth control and not toits financial savings.

Here are some ways to prepare for it:

1. ATTEND SEMINARS
Hospitals offer free seminars, also pump supplier Medela Moms usually offer seminars throughout the year.

2. CONSULT A CERTIFIED LACTATION COUNSELOR
Some hospitals in the Philippines have an in-house consultant, if not you may refer to La Leche League's website for counselor details, it is a non-profit organization to help educate and support women who want to breastfeed.

3. READ A BOOK
I read this during my first pregnancy, now I'm reviewing it again. This book is my complete guide to breastfeeding.

showing the Latest version, I read the earlier one

This book I happily got free during world Breastfeeding Week, it catered more to the Philippine condition and experiences.

some breastfeeding challenges in this book are quite similar to mine


This has a section about breastfeeding, it's more of a mom book. I can relate to this book since we  have used and experienced most of what they were discussing. This is ideal to the Philippine Market because most suppliers are local.



4. TALK TO AN EXPERIENCED FRIEND

Few months before giving birth to my daughter, a friend showed me how to pump milk, gave recommendations, how to store milk,  what to expect. This has been an experience I will always be thankful and will remember.

Right after giving birth, nothing prepared me to the actual breastfeeding. I was in a dilemma since hands-on breastfeding is quite different in hearing and reading what to do. Luckily,  we were able to go to one of the breastfeeding advocate's house guided me with what to do.

5. SHOP FOR YOUR NEEDS

Pump and Storage Bottles-  some don't need it, hand express works for them ,
If you decide to get a pump, either manual or electric,  invest on a good one,  it saved me lots of time and i was able to easily empty and store when I came from long meetings for my daughter's use every time I'm out working.

Comfortable Clothes, Bra and Cover-  nursing clothes, nursing bra and cover are convenient but not a must, a buttoned blouse, flexible bra that you can put the cup down and a shawl will do


Some ideas taken from Indigo baby on how to use a nursing cover


Nipple Cream - should be 100% Lanolin, this will soothe the soreness in the first week



I loved each moment I held my daughter in my arms as she feeds. It is a magical moment I would like each mother to experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment